Thursday, April 3, 2014

Lake Fred Watershed Management Plan

Throughout my time at Stockton College I have created two watershed management plans on the Lake Fred watershed. For my environmental issues course I created a comprehensive plan detailing the pollutants associated with the lake and what can be done to improve it. The management I created was based off the 9 elements of a watershed management plan that is used for state management plans. The elements I examined included determining sources of pollutants, expected load reductions, management measures to reduce pollutants, ways to educate and involve the public, scheduling of management measures, technical and financial needs, load reduction criteria and evaluating management measure (monitoring component).

This was a valuable exercise in doing something that is practical in the scientific field. The project required me to think critically about all areas needed to secure the health of Lake Fred. Watershed management plans are used extensively for watersheds that experience pollution. They are an important part in improving and maintaining the health of watersheds. I also gained experience in reading and understanding government documents like the watershed management plans I researched before writing my own. Reading and analyzing skills were necessary to understand what the plan entailed and how I was going to write my own plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment